Sarah Strauss is professor of cultural anthropology at the University of Wyoming. Her research focuses on the intersection of environmental and health issues, values, and practices, especially as they relate to climate change and energy resources. Professor Strauss has conducted ethnographic fieldwork in Rishikesh and Auroville, India, as well as Leukerbad, Switzerland, and her home state of Wyoming, USA. She has been a visiting scientist at the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) in Boulder, Colorado (2008–2009), visiting professor in the Department of Geosciences of the University of Fribourg, Switzerland (2005–2006), and most recently Fulbright-Nehru visiting professor in the Department of Anthropology at Pondicherry University, India (2012–2013). Her books include Weather, Climate, Culture (2003, edited with Ben Orlove), Positioning Yoga (2004), and Cultures of Energy (2013, edited with Stephanie Rupp and Thomas Love). She is currently working on a new book, The Yoga of Change: Tales of Energy, Climate, and Culture in the Anthropocene, and collaborating with Carrick Eggleston on interactive strategies to enact the cultural changes required by energy transitions and the movement to a lower carbon society.
RCC Research Project: Cultures of Energy: Societal Transformations in the Service of Sustainable Systems
- Strauss, S. “Climate Change in Leukerbad and Beyond: Re-Visioning our Cultures of Energy and Environment.” In Anthropology and Climate Change: From Encounters to Actions, 2nd edition, edited by Susie Crate and Mark Nuttall. Walnut Creek, CA: Left Coast Press/Routledge, in press.
- Strauss, S. “Kulturverlust? Ja, Aber….” In The World of Tomorrow: A Family Tracking Climate Change, edited by Jens Steingaesser and Jana Steingaesser. Germany: National Geographic, in press.
- Fiske, S.J., S.A. Crate, C.L. Crumley, K. Galvin, H. Lazrus, G. Luber, L. Lucero, A. Oliver-Smith, B.S. Orlove, S. Strauss, and R. Wilk. Changing the Atmosphere: Anthropology and Climate Change. Final Report of the AAA Global Climate Change Task Force, 137. December 2014. Arlington, VA: American Anthropological Association.
- Strauss, S., S. Rupp and T. Love, eds. Cultures of Energy: Power, Practices, Technologies. Walnut Creek, CA: Left Coast Press, 2013.
- Strauss, S. and L. Mandelbaum. “Consuming Yoga, Conserving the Environment: Transcultural Discourses on Sustainable Living.” In Yoga Traveling: Conceptualizing Body and Self in Transcultural Perspective, edited by Beatrix Hauser. Series on Transcultural Research: Heidelberg Studies on Asia and Europe in a Global Context. Heidelberg: Springer Verlag, 2013.
- Strauss, S. “The Yoga of Change: Energy, Climate, Culture.” Mantra, December 2013, 40, http://mantramag.com.
- Strauss, S. “Are Cultures Endangered by Climate Change? Yes, but...” WIREs Climate Change 3 (2012): 371–77. doi: 10.1002/wcc.181.