The Country and the City: Connecting People and Their Places in Environmental History
Co-sponsored by the Rachel Carson Center for Environment and Society, LMU Munich, and the Center for Ecological History, Renmin University of China
An international conference is to be held in Beijing, at Renmin University of China, 29 May–1 June 2014.
Do rural people live in harmony with each other and with nature? Are urban people alienated from the land and exploitative in their ecological behavior? These questions point to cultural myths that have persisted across time and space, from ancient China to modern Africa. This conference seeks to scrutinize such cultural perceptions, in the spirit of famed British cultural critic Raymond Williams, and at the same time examine the material connections that have long bound rural and urban habitats together. We are especially interested in comparative studies that cross national boundaries, in papers that bring neglected parts of the world into view, and in perspectives that extend back in time before the twentieth century.
The call for papers is closed.
Call for Papers (PDF, 320 KB)
Please click here to see the preliminary program (PDF, 76 KB).
For the conference report, please click here (PDF, 322 KB).
Submitted Papers (password protected) for participants only:
- Paper_Alana_Boland (250 KByte)
- Paper_Albert_Park (190 KByte)
- Paper_Aliya_Ainiwaer (510 KByte)
- Paper_Cao_Mu (99 KByte)
- Paper_David_Gobel (5 MByte)
- Paper_Emily_Brownell (217 KByte)
- Paper_Flower_&_Leonard (394 KByte)
- Paper_Fukao_Manchuria (22 KByte)
- Paper_Hou_Yongjian (882 KByte)
- Paper_Jordan_Sand (308 KByte)
- Paper_Mart_Stewart (2 MByte)
- Paper_Mei_Xueqin (83 KByte)
- Paper_Ruth_Oldenziel (96 KByte)
- Paper_Sara_Gregg (5 MByte)
- Paper_Sarah_Hill (6 MByte)
- Paper_Sun_Donghu (428 KByte)
- Paper_Tom_Robertson (89 KByte)
- Paper_Wade_Graham (125 KByte)
- Paper_Wang_Lihua (206 KByte)
- Paper_William_Cavert (87 KByte)
- Paper_Xie_Shi (1 MByte)