Rachel Carson Center for Environment and Society

Breadcrumb Navigation


Where and when do I need to register my residency?

Registration of residency (registering your address) in the city of Munich is mandatory for every fellow within one week of arrival. You can register your address at one of the six Residence Registration Offices in Munich (Bürgerbüros). You may choose the office that has the most convenient location for you. Registration is carried out without appointments during the opening hours and is free of charge. In case you need to apply for a visa or residence permit, you may want to go to the main KVR office (Kreisverwaltungsreferat) and do both at the same visit.

An electronic version of the registration form can be downloaded for printing. You will receive all necessary information—including a printed set of forms—after your arrival at the RCC. Online registration is not possible, as your personal signature is required by law. For further information, including the electronic form under “Downloads,” please see http://www.muenchen.de/rathaus/home_en/Department-of-Public-Order/Registration-Deregistration.

After registration, non-EU/EEA-Citizens who entered the country without a visa need to obtain a temporary residence permit (Aufenthaltstitel) at the Residence Registration Office within a period of three months.

How do I apply for a residence permit?