Rachel Carson Center for Environment and Society

Breadcrumb Navigation


Will I need a visa? For which type of visa should I apply?

EU/EEA Citizens

If you are a citizen of an EU or EEA (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway) country, you do not need a visa or permit to enter Germany. These fellows only need a valid passport to enter and reside in Germany. It is sufficient to register your address at the Registration Office upon arrival in Munich and if you are staying longer than three months at the RCC, obtain a residence permit.

Non-EU Citizens

If you are a citizen from outside of the European Union, you will need a visa or permit to enter Germany. Please follow this link to find a detailed list of countries and to find out whether you need a visa for visits to Germany and the Schengen states: http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/EN/EinreiseUndAufenthalt/Visabestimmungen_node.html

Please note: If you are a citizen of Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, the Republic of Korea, or the United States of America you may obtain your residence after entering Germany, without applying for a visa first. Please find more information here: "How do I apply for a residence permit?"