Anwesha Borthakur is primarily engaged in interdisciplinary research focusing on electronic waste (e-waste) governance in India, South Africa, and the European Union. She was a Marie Skłodowska Curie Postdoctoral Fellow at KU Leuven, Belgium, and is currently affiliated to the same university. Prior to that, she completed her PhD in science policy at Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi. Her PhD research was funded by the Indian Council of Social Science Research. During her PhD, she was a visiting researcher at the University of Bradford, UK, and participated in a number of summer and winter research schools in the UK, the US, Spain, France, Sweden, China, and Belgium. Having worked on e-waste management and policies for over a decade, with her current project she expands her research area. Here, she examines public engagement through knowledge co-creation for environmental sustainability in the Global South, with particular consideration of both the Western and Eastern Himalayan region in India. Her focus will be on agriculture-, waste-, energy-, and water-related concerns.
- “Design, Adoption and Implementation of Electronic Waste Policies in India.” Environmental Science and Pollution Research (2022): https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-022-18836-5.
- with Pardeep Singh. “Indigenous Agricultural Knowledge Towards Achieving Sustainable Agriculture.” In Sustainable Agriculture Reviews 50: Emerging Contaminants in Agriculture, edited by Vipin Kumar Singh, Rishikesh Singh, and Eric Lichtfouse, 401–413. Cham: Springer International Publishing, 2021.
- “Policy Approaches on E-Waste in the Emerging Economies: A Review of the Existing Governance with Special Reference to India and South Africa.” Journal of Cleaner Production 252 (2022): 119885. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2019.119885.
- with Madhav Govind. “Computer and Mobile Phone Waste in Urban India: An Analysis from the Perspectives of Public Perception, Consumption and Disposal Behaviour.” Journal of Environmental Planning and Management 62, no. 4 (2019): 717–740. https://doi.org/10.1080/09640568.2018.1429254.
- with Madhav Govind. “Public Understandings of E-Waste and Its Disposal in Urban India: From a Review Towards a Conceptual Framework.” Journal of Cleaner Production 172 (2018): 1053–1066. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2017.10.218.
- with Madhav Govind. 2017. “Emerging Trends in Consumers’ E-Waste Disposal Behaviour and Awareness: A Worldwide Overview with Special Focus on India.” Resources, Conservation and Recycling 117 (2017): 102–113. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resconrec.2016.11.011.