Leopoldstr. 11a, 4. OG, 409
+49 (0) 89 / 2180 - 72396
Fabio Cian is a space engineer with a PhD in environmental economics. He is currently a research scientist in the Department of Economics at the Ca’ Foscari University of Venice, and a disaster risk specialist at the World Bank. He has worked at the European Space Agency, the German Aerospace Center, and Columbia University. His research and work center on the use of Earth Observation data for socioeconomic studies in the framework of natural disaster management, urban resilience, and climate change. He is also a documentary photographer and studied documentary photography at the International Center of Photography in New York. Fabio has held several exhibitions in Italy and abroad. In 2017, he exhibited his photographic documentary “What’s Your Dream,” about the aftermath of the 2013 super typhoon in the Philippines, at the European Commission Joint Research Center’s science-and-art festival Resonances II. A founder of the Venice Climate Lab, he is active in science communication and outreach through events at the intersection of art and science, with a specific focus on climate change and sustainability.
He is currently working on a documentary project about climate laboratories, with the aim of showing how climate science is carried out, to better understand how we know what we know about climate and its changes.
RCC Research Project: Climate Labs: The "Backstage" of Climate Change
- with José Manuel Delgado Blasco and Lorenzo Carrera. “Sentinel-1 for Monitoring Land Subsidence of Coastal Cities in Africa Using PSInSAR: A Methodology Based on the Integration of SNAP and StaMPS.” Geosciences 9, no. 3 (2019): 124.
- with Marta Bonato and Carlo Giupponi. “Combining LULC Data and Agricultural Statistics for a Better Identification and Mapping of High Nature Value Farmland: A Case Study in the Veneto Plain, Italy.” Land Use Policy 83 (2019): 488–504.
- with Mattia Marconcini, Pietro Ceccato, and Carlo Giupponi. “Flood Depth Estimation by means of High-Resolution SAR Images and Lidar Data.” Natural Hazards & Earth System Sciences 18, no. 11 (2018): 3063–84.
- with Mattia Marconcini and Pietro Ceccato. “Normalized Difference Flood Index for Rapid Flood Mapping: Taking Advantage of EO Big Data.” Remote Sensing of Environment 209 (2018): 712–30.
- “What’s Your Dream?” In Resonances II: Fairness. Luxembourg: European Union, 2017.
- “Un tifone nello zaino: un’esperienza tra le devastazioni di ‘Haiyan’ nelle Filippine.” Nimbus 75, no. 1 (2016): 60–64.